Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself: A Road Trip with David Foster Wallace - David Lipsky I like the way I read this book. Just a few pages at a time. There was a complex honesty throughout the conversations. You always know that DFW is planning answers, turning off the tape, even, to try them out first, but that he is doing that because he thinks the questions are important enough to get right. What is a writer? Does writing combat loneliness? What is fame? And no matter how he plans it, he cannot control it, because after all he is just trying to be honest, never to play at being himself, but to become himself.

I agree with Lipsky that one cannot help but leave with the impression that they were both so young. Emotionally. But, at the same time, as a writer, DFW is never really young, just smart. Perhaps most revealing is that neither has any sense as to how to talk about the future. It just doesn't come up, in any significant way, neither asked nor answered.

And of course, DFW is so adamant about not going "there" again, it once again makes the tragedy of his suicide so disturbing. Even knowing what to avoid, he could not avoid it.

Be sure to read the Afterword afterwards, by the way. It is a better conclusion than the Baptist dance.